Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lemon Shower Scrub

I was inspired by an article in Martha Stewart's Living, March 2011 magazine. I received a copy of the "Spring Edition" on a day when we were getting inches of snowfall. Very funny to sit under an electric blanket reading about spring flowers and ordering your seedlings. Our little bulbs haven't even started to poke up their heads in this winter weather!

One of the recipes in this edition was for "Lemon Salt Scrub" that you could make at home and use in the shower to rejuvinate your dry, flaky, chapped winter skin. That sounded more my speed! So I decided to give it a try and got all my ingredients together. Since it's freezing & snowing and we have a winter wind alert going - we decided to stay in this afternoon and I got busy on the salt scrub.

The recipe gave a couple alternative ingredients and I opted to go for one of them. In place of the sea salt you could use organic sugar cane crystals. Since our skin is so wind chapped I decided that sugar can sounded better than salt.

Here are my ingredients:



1 cup oil (I used organic castille oil as it's the basis of so many beauty products)
1 cup sea salt or organic sugar cane crystals (I chose the sugar cane)
Lemon zest for scent

I put my 1 cup of oil into my mixing bowl and added the 1 cup of sugar crystals. This was way too soupy so I continued to add sugar until it was the right texture. For my ingredients, it was the 3 cups of sugar in the bag to the cup of oil (in the little bottle). Start with the recipe's 1 cup to 1 cup ratio and work from there to get your desired textured scrub.

I grated my lemon zest very coarse so that it would hold up to sitting in the oil & sugar before we use it,

This recipe made two small fruit jars of scrub.

The magazine showed the scrub in some fancy little jars with creative labels. Looked like a great thing to use and a wonderful gift idea. My scrub is browner in color due to the sugar. The photo in the magazine was of a white scrub, due to the use of sea salt.


Here's the final product:



Here it is, sitting on my sink waiting to be used. My son, who just came in from the snowy outdoors, jumped into the hot shower and is giving it a first try. I'll let you know how it feels.

If you're in a warmer spot than us, smile at the sunshine and think of us girls living in Snow States!


1 comment:

jen said...

and I can even use my own lemons from my tree! glad to see some posts from you again…:)